10 reasons Oscar Wilde rules!
This post is brought to you by a truly horrifying story I heard today. I decided to turn it around and make something positive out of it – like enlightening those who need to be enlightened as to how awesome one Mr. Oscar Wilde is. My thanks to Matchbook Magazine for their story on the top 20 Oscar Wilde quotes.
1. Wilde sued the Marquess of Queensbury for libel. Yes, the Marquess of Queensbury of the famous “rules” for boxing.
2. Though affecting a borderline lazy stance, Wilde was not one to mess with. Once he was attacked by four men and kicked their asses – singlehandedly.
3. While very intelligent and fluent in several languages (including ancient Greek) Wilde was a horrible student at Oxford, but in his last year managed to pull off double first class honors in a B.A. of Classical Moderations and Literae Humaniores.
4. If you read it on an inspirational site on Pinterest, chances are Oscar Wilde said it. One of my favorites: “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
5. He survived 2 years of hard labor in prison. Two years probably doesn’t sound like much, eh? Well, now imagine it’s 1897, it’s an English prison, and you’re Irish.
6. He’s the patron saint of “to thine own self be true” acolytes: “When first I was put into prison some people advised me to try and forget who I was. It was ruinous advice. It is only by realising what I am that I have found comfort of any kind. ”
7. For a guy who was married, but then was thrown in jail basically for being gay, he has a brutal and charming understanding of women. Perhaps because he can look at women and wives with a clear eye. Read “An Ideal Husband” (actually just see the movie, it’s fabulous and cringe-worthy, for good reasons). Wilde once said, “Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.”
8. He has three middle names, with his full name being (deep breath here): Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie Wills Wilde. Whew!
9. The same man who said “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best” also said “With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?”
10. His last words supposedly were “My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has got to go.”